Advising & Declaring
- November 20th - 2nd approval by an SA for Juniors
- December 1st - final approval by Student Services for Juniors
- May 1st - first approval by an SA for Sophomores
- June 1st - second approval by an SA for Sophomores
October 1st - Capstone option indicated in SFACT for Seniors
November 1st - Degree Progress Check for students conferring in Autumn or Winter quarters
March 1st - Degree Progress Check for students conferring in Spring or Summer quarters
(note: there are individual deadlines based on alphabetical order)
Application to Graduate - refer to Registrar's Office deadlines
Course of Study Changes
- Meet with an SA or the Student Services staff to discuss changes to your course of study (COS).
- Update SFACT with agreed upon change(s).
- If needed, upload an addendum to SFACT for review by Student Services staff.
- Student Services will review your changes and addendum. If no further changes are required, the new COS will be approved in SFACT.
Writing an Addendum
Required with more than one change to the Depth courses from your original COS.
- Add a paragraph to the bottom of your original Cornerstone Essay justifying the added courses that need approval.
- Upload the addendum to SFACT. E-mail Student Services if they have already reviewed your COS and requested the addendum from you.
Changing Area of Concentration
If you decide to revise your entire Area of Concentration, you must discuss these changes with an SA before you begin taking the classes. After the SA approves the new Area of Concentration, you must rewrite your Cornerstone Essay to reflect this revision and submit it for SA approval. Then, set up an appointment with your Faculty Advisor to discuss the changes and show them your new Cornerstone Essay. Your Faculty Advisor may have additional suggestions that would enhance your COS. Depending on the scope of the changes, you may want to consider searching for additional mentors in your new concentration or even officially switching to a Faculty Advisor who is an expert in your new area. Finally, upload your new Cornerstone Essay to SFACT and schedule a meeting with Student Services.
Samantha Cooper and Jesse Calderon are your HumBio SSOs. We have both virtual and in-person office hours.
Peer student advisor (SAs) office hours are available for students who have the following requests:
- Course of Study 1st or 2nd approvals
- Course of Study changes
- Faculty advisors recommendations
- Capstone option recommendations
- Assistance with designing a Course of Study
- Course recommendations & suggestions
- Questions about the HumBio degree options
SAs office hours are held in the HumBio Hub (Building 20, Room 21A).
Schedule an Advising Appointment
Peer student advisors are available during office hours in the HumBio Hub, building 20, room 21A.
Walk-ins welcome be sure to check the schedule below.
Schedule a meeting with a peer Student Advisor